Estates Officer

Estates officers are responsible for ensuring that the council's land and property holdings are managed as efficiently and effectively as possible.  They are employed in all types of councils.  There are around 3,000 employed in local government within the UK today.

Work Environment
Estates officers work about 36 hours per week and there may be some evening committee work.  They are mainly office based, but also have to travel to meetings or sites.  Flexitime, job sharing and part time work is sometimes available.

Daily Activities
Estates officers are involved in a range of activities relating to the council's land and properties including:

  • assessing rents due;
  • renewing leases;
  • considering tenancy applications;
  • monitoring tenancy agreements and making sure tenants keep the terms of their lease;
  • managing properties, including ensuring that they are well maintained, organising and checking repairs and checking that they are used for their designated purpose;
  • assessing the potential of the council's properties for future use, including the marketing and disposing of land and buildings through sale or let;
  • carrying out detailed negotiations with landowners or other interested individuals and companies concerning compulsory purchase;
  • preparing written and financial reports for presentation to the council's committees.

Skills & Interests
Estate officers need to:

  • communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing;
  • have good organisational skills;
  • be able to analyse written and numerical information accurately;
  • have good negotiating skills;
  • be good at giving presentations;
  • be tactful and diplomatic;
  • have good computer skills.

Entry Requirements
Although there are no set minimum entry qualifications, most employers will require at least five GCSEs/S grades (grades A-C/1-3), possibly A levels/Highers or similar and an HNC in housing or related subject.  A driving licence is also usually required. Some employers might ask for a degree in surveying or housing management.  As an estates officer you may work towards NVQ/SVQ Level 4 in property management or housing.  You can also work towards professional qualifications via two professional bodies: the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation (IRRV).

RICS membership requirements are as follows:

  • to register as a student requires a degree. Entry qualifications for a first degree course are five GCSEs/S grades (grades A-C/1-3) and two A levels or equivalent;
  • graduates with a relevant accredited degree must then do a minimum of two years' structured experience, followed by a final assessment; 
  • graduates with a non-related degree have to begin by following a one year full-time or two-year part-time accredited postgraduate course; 
  • students can alternatively complete exempting degree courses (such as a BSc in estate management) or diploma courses. A BTEC/SQA HND/C in land use or estate management (or equivalent) leads to partial exemption and there is a special graduate entry scheme for those with a non-relevant degree.

Future Prospects & Opportunities
Promotion prospects depend very much on the size and scope of the department - larger departments in larger local councils have a clearly defined promotion ladder, for example you could progress to estates manager, or you might be able to Specialise in a particular area of work.

Further Information & Services
Asset Skills
Chartered Institute of Building
Chartered Institute of Housing
Construction Skills
Inside Housing
Institute of Revenues, Ratings and Valuation
Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors 
The College of Estates Management
The Surveyor

You may find further information about this area of work through Careers Wales ( or in your local library, careers office or school careers library.

Related Links